"This is a delightful, crisp summer salad. The warm crispy cigars with a melted goats’ cheese interior, add a little substance and ensure that you leave the table feeling satisfied. You can substitute the raspberries with blueberries or fresh figs."
For the cigars:
1½ cups soft goats’ cheese
½ cup mascarpone cheese
salt and milled black pepper
1 tablespoon water
12 spring roll wrappers
2 cups vegetable oil
- Mix together the goats’ cheese and mascarpone and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a piping bag. (If you don’t have a piping bag, you can scoop the mixture onto the wrapper and mould it into a cylinder as you’re rolling it.)
- Whisk the egg with the water for the egg-wash.
- Working with one spring roll wrapper at a time, pipe a line of cheese 2 cm from the one edge, in a straight line, stopping 2 cm from the other edge.
- Brush the edges lightly with egg-wash, and roll a small piece of wrapper over the cheese mixture.
- Fold the sides over and roll into a tight cigar.
- Repeat with the remaining filling.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a shallow frying pan until hot but not smoking. Lower the cigars 3 to 4 at a time into the pan and cook until light golden brown and crispy.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
For the salad:
Baby lettuce leaves
Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
2 punnets fresh raspberries
- Mix the baby lettuce with the vinaigrette.
- Serve with the warm goats’ cheese cigars and garnish with fresh raspberries.